Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th everybody...

Let us not forget those that gave all for our Independence. Nor those currently serving to ensure our continued freedom.

Today is the perfect opportunity to share some more of Smed's Shpring Cleaning cards, no, not more Phillies today, those will continue later. Today I wanted to share several insert cards from the 2007 Topps sets that he most graciously gave me the better part of. (I now have the missing cards from '07 on my wishlist page).

Ok, shameless plug out of the way, on with today's goodies:




It's easy to forget how quickly life turns sometimes. One day, you are called up from the minors to play for the big leagues. The next, you are called up for service.

Take note of Ted Williams' card back, he walked away from baseball twice to serve. I just may hunt down a few more of his cards and put together a tribute page for him.

Admiral Nimitz holds a special spot in my memories as my father (30 year career Navy Chief) spent many years aboard his namesake carrier. I also have ties to the Navy as my career has been spent designing piping systems for Naval vessels. I have also been out on a dependent's day cruise with my father aboard both the USS Nimitz and the USS America. Good times.

One could only begin to ponder what differences President Kennedy could have brought about if not for that fateful day in Dallas. He is one of two presidents that I would love to have met and hung out with for a while. President Reagen is the other. (if you were wondering).

If you could travel back in time and meet someone, who would it be?

Happy 4th everybody, stay safe out there, wherever you are.
Have a GReat week!
Dawgbones

3 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln. I love that insert set.

Dan said...

Anyone at all? I think the most fascinating person to talk to for me would be Ben Franklin, a mind teeming with ideas.

Spankee said...

My grandfathers. I never got to meet them. I've got 1000 questions for them.