Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The price just went up!!

Everybody writes a post about the high cost of collecting little bits of cardboard.
These posts normally start with a question:
How much is the most you've spent on a single purchase or single card?

I've answered this question on occasion myself, once here. At the end of said post, I reported having spent less than $20 on 1 single card, and that one wasn't even for me!

Well, that price has almost doubled in the last few weeks! I managed to sell a few things on eBay, and one of them netted me quite a bit more than I had expected. After paying the associated fees and giving a little love to my bank account, I decided to splurge and buy a card that I've been looking for for a few years. 2011 to be exact. Topps issued several inserts including one of my favorite pitcher, Jamie Moyer, that had coins inserted in the card. I don't normally go for manufactured relics, as extolled here. Yet, for some inexplicable reason, this particular card got it's hooks in me, deep, and I just had to get me one of them!

So, here it is, in all it's 1962 coppery goodness! The 2011 Topps Heritage '62 Mint for Jamie Moyer.


Question: When one calculates the "most spent" on a card, does one include postage? This one set me back just over $27, shipped. plus another $2.60 for the fancy magnetic case to put this uber-thick card in... (almost 4mm thick!!)

and I knocked a white whale out! (the only card I had considered for this moniker at this point)


and there's another factoid that makes me like him even more! Mr. Moyer shares his birthday with one of the most influential people in my life! No, not talking about Hammett, though that is pretty cool. Nor am I talking about the world's most famous mouse... nope, not him either... These three folks share the same birth date as Mrs. Dawgbones! Yep, my wife, Mickey Mouse, Jamie Moyer and Kirk Hammett were all born on November 18th. very cool!
thanks for reading,
Have a GReat day!!
Dawgbones

2 comments:

flywheels said...

Sweet card! I think John Smoltz has a coin card in that set too...though I'm not likely to track it down anytime soon.

I bought a '89 UD Griffey RC back in the day for $45. When I bought it that was a lot for me. Since I started collecting again in 2010, I think the most I paid was $25 and that was for a Topps Chrome Jason Heyward RC auto.

Fuji said...

It's always nice when you finally catch a white whale. Awesome card. Congratulations.