Sunday, February 20, 2011

Wow, what an exciting finish to the 500...

I was truly happy to see Michael Waltrip back in victory lane on Friday.
Too bad he did not fair better today.  If Rooty could not win, and Mikey did not cross that line first; I am very happy to see some Old Blood (driven by New Blood) visit that coveted spot.

Congratulations to Trevor Bane and the Woods Brothers for an outstanding effort.
I've been a Michael Waltrip fan since I got the chance to meet him in person, naturally transferring my allegiance to his team when he formed it. Michael is one hell of a nice guy, and I actually started semi-rooting for him when he drove...


That's right, he drove the 21 car for the Woods brothers from 1996 thru 1998, including an exciting victory in the 1996 All-Star race .


this is the car I took with me on that day when I first met him in person, he signed the hood for me.



I was too excited for him on that fateful day 10 years ago, it's hard to believe 10 years has passed. I realize the world lost a very talented, tenacious driver, but Michael not only lost a dear friend on that day, but also the savory sweetness of his first Daytona 500, as well as his first NASCAR win on that same day. Hopefully, Friday night brought a little of that sweetness back.

Here's the Chevy he drove for Earnhardt.

and the Dodge from his team start.
Michael has driven several different cars, for several manufacturers, for several different teams, before he started one of the flagship teams for Toyota.


I had mixed emotions when he decided to retire, I liked him as a driver, but am happy to see him concentrating on becoming a better team. I now root for Reutimann and wish to see a MWR car in victory lane again soon.

Thanks for reading,
Have a GReat week.
Dawgbones

No comments: