Saturday, January 22, 2011

A follow up to my Wally World pack... (my first non-Baseball related post)

GReat question Justin, and I'll answer it in a minute...
but first. So, if you read my post earlier today, you know one of my girls got a pack of 2010 Update this week. Well, it's my job in the afternoon to feed them, and take them outside, so today, I'm done feeding them, and standing out in the yard, telling them, OK go potty Piper, go potty Willow, Kaylee go potty, OK Fred, give me my cards back!! Too funny.

Now Justin, your question was why is my girl Fred, named Fred? My wife and I are big Sci-Fi and fantasy fans, Star Trek, Star Wars, Buffy, you name the series, we've watched it.
All my dogs have been named after some of our favorite TV characters.

My first dog was a female Golden Retreiver/German Shepherd mix, her name was Seven. It kind of made sense at the time, Star Trek Voyager was in full swing, and Jerry Ryan's character was Seven of Nine. Well, Seven was 1 out of a litter of 7 pups, and with mom and dad, she was Seven of Nine. Sadly, we only had her with us for 7 short years until we lost her to cancer. She is the reason I collect players who wear the #7 jersey.

 
Our next dog was a Newfoundland, we wanted a big dog name for the big dog he would be, so we named him Bronx, after the Gargoyle cartoon character. After a week of living with him though, his true personality came shing through, we called him Bubba after that!!


















Third in line was named after Miss Kaywinnit Lee Frye, the engineer from the Joss Whedon, short lived show, Firefly. She was known  to her friends as Kaylee, as is my oldest now. my Kaylee:

 


Our fourth pup, born a year and a half after Kaylee, from the same parents, was Abby, I called her Boo. She was name after Miss Abby Sciuto, from N.C.I.S.
 

We lost Bubba to congenital heart failure after 5-1/2 years. But that brings us to my little baseball card buddy. After we lost Bubba, my wife found a Golden Retriever breeder close to us in Richmond, and we agreed that we were ready for another Golden, my wife wanted another female, and I said fine, as long as we could name her Fred! Her actual full name is Winifred Blondiebear. She was named after Winifred Burkle, from the show Angel, and as on the show, we call her Fred. And she is a "Real Blonde" as well.
 My wife then decided she wanted to save a life, so off we went to the Portsmouth Humane society, where we met, fell in love, and adopted our first rescued soul. Mrs Dawgbones decided to name her Willow after the character from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.
 Tragically, we lost Abby at a year and a half old, a short while after we got Willow. We then decided the house was too quiet, so off  we went, back to the Portsmouth Humane, where we found the cutest little black dog, actually sitting in the same cage that we found Willow in. That brings us to our current fourth pup, Piper, for she surely is a Charmed One for us.
 


Thanks for accompanying me on this little journey,
Hope I did not bore you too much,
Have a GReat night!
Dawgbones

4 comments:

BA Benny said...

Those are some beautiful dogs, I have 2 myself. One was a gift and the other a rescue. I will have to post about them soon.

Dawgbones said...

They are all gifts Benny, the rescues even more so, and that's my real LOATHING for Mr. Vick and my reason for boycotting my beloved Eagles!

Until I met my Seven, I could not picture my life with dogs, now I can't picture my life without them!

The Big Kahuna said...

Ahhhhhhh yes! Star wars, Star Trek, and dogs. What more could you want......other than room for one more 4 legged friend!

flywheels said...

My 2 cats are named after Thundercats. Lion-O was my first cat. Then I adopted another cat from a local shelter and named him Lynx-O. I always told my wife if we got a female cat she would be named Cheetara...but no such luck. We got a dog instead of a 3rd cat. No creative name for him either...he's just Henry.